Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Death of Common Courtesy

Common courtesy must not be "in" this season. Or maybe it died a slow death years ago and I just didn't notice.

I'll try to make this brief, as I have to run off to remove a sign from a rented space (hooray) before the super trashes it. I was yelling "No basura por favor!!!!" when we spoke a few minutes ago, but I'm not sure he understood. This guy is a sweetheart, but he often pretends to understand me when really he doesn't. God bless ESL.

Anyways, back on topic. Real estate is a great for career for people who love the following:

  • Wasting time
  • Dealing with jackasses
  • Getting stood up
  • Most importantly, possess the patience of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

I am none of these things.

Today I'll touch on getting stood up, a favorite topic. Since when did it become okay to harass me every hour on the hour about seeing a given apartment, and then not show up to the freaking appointment? Huh? You were plenty bold when calling me at inappropriate hours, but now that you've decided not to come out, you don't have the balls to pick up your phone or give me a courtesy call to let me know you won't be making it to our appointment. Now I'm standing out in the freezing cold, getting weird looks from people who live on the block, and you're not picking up your damn phone.

This, my friends, is one of the many reasons I'm such a crank sometimes when people are desperate to see a place. The more desperate and pushy, the more likely they are to blow me off at the very last second. Seriously. If they are a broker, they promptly assume a spot on my Shit List. Just TRY getting me to pick up your calls next time! If it is a client, unless they have a damn good reason (i.e., phone fell in toilet, track fire on the subway, got hit by a bus), I will refuse to deal with them. And leave a terse message calling them out on their inconsiderate ways. Not that they'll have the guts to even listen to my voicemail.

But sometimes you do things for your own dignity, then let go and let karma do all the rest.



1 comment:

workhard said...

I hate being stood up too.. totally agree with the degree of frustration..

Idaho Real Estate