Monday, February 5, 2007

An End to the Procrastination and Welcome!

Well Hello. I have been thinking about and talking about creating this blog for a long time, and I've finally taken the plunge. It's been slow at work, the money is coming in at a pathetic trickle, and honestly, I've got time on my hands.

A little about me: I'm a twentysomething female Manhattan realtor. I'm overeducated, underpaid, and find myself wondering on a daily, if not hourly basis, how the hell I ended up in this crazy business full of weirdos. The short story (a common one, almost an embarrassing cliche) is that I came here to make my mark in the Big City and quickly ran up against the reality of making a living. After grad school, I worked numerous crap jobs for little money. A few highlights:

  • Around the holidays one year, I wrapped presents as a personal assistant at a well-known fashion house. Robert Redford got a sweater that year. My tenure there was short lived. Apparently my preferences in wrapping paper wasn't up to their "taste level."

  • I worked as a research associate for a truly nutty, disorganized, borderline-creepy professor. The day he asked me what I was wearing was the day that I knew my tenure there was winding down. Indeed it was.

  • I tried working in the bar/club/nightlife scene. I soon realized I had grown to truly hate going out, and that being there was torture. Plus they stiffed me a bunch of times, so fuck that!

Did I apply for "real jobs?" Hell yes. However, the jobs I could get that were related to my degree would barely pay for my daily coffee. And that was before taxes. Newsflash: I didn't go to school to obtain an expensive hobby. I have real bills to pay. Rent. Utilities. The Parental Units are NOT footing the bill for my Big City Adventure. I trust that I'll never have a trust fund. I'm on my own out here. I'm sure many of you can relate.

Infuriated and exhausted from getting the ass end of everything, I decided to find a compromise...a job where I could work for both myself and a company and make decent money while setting my own hours. Freelance work was too spotty and erratic (see above.) Working for The Man ain't my bag (see also above.) Whoring myself out like this no longer felt like an option, and I don't "do" Sugar Daddies, so I decided to do real estate instead.

That's where things get interesting. That's what this blog is about.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the pigeon I'm currently using as my avatar....Well, it's symbolic. Bear with me here. Real estate agents in Manhattan are about as common as pigeons, and sometimes just as despised. You'll see what I mean in future posts. . .

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Witty, funny and well written! Someone should have nabbed you long before you went into real estate! I love the bog. Keep up the great work!

Leela said...

uau!!! (as they say here in Mexico) Smart and flows beautifully. Can't wait for the extended version. (wink wink)