Saturday, February 2, 2008

Gone in 60 Seconds

Like an unrepentent romantic who keeps hoping a wayward lover will be true one day, every broker lives with the never-ending hope that despite the usual pains and pangs of deal-making, there is easy money to be made in this business.

That hope gets dashed on a weekly basis, if not more often. Case in point: I have a space that came onto the market recently. I got the keys and the very next day got a great offer from the first person who saw it. What's more, the normally cautious landlord adored the clients, even saying, "I liked them so much I would've spent the rest of the afternoon talking with them. But I had another appointment."

That sort of gushing rarely happens with this landlord. It was all brilliantly painless and easy. The kind of easy when you almost feel guilty for cashing the commission check.

Just a few bits of paperwork, a quick credit check, and we would be all set to sign leases. Except the clients began dragging their feet regarding the paperwork and running the credit. I warned them that the landlord would think that they were losing interest. Since we both knew they were still very much interested (right?)--they should work to seal the deal pronto.

I remember feeling a twinge of worry at that point, but I brushed it aside.

I shouldn't have. They backed out the next day, saying that the space would cost them too much.

The landlord was so disappointed in the idea of losing them, and our deal, that he immediately knocked the rent down by several hundred dollars. I'm still waiting to hear back from the clients. Far from feeling elated, I'm feeling more resigned at this point. Frankly, I'll be surprised if this all works out.

There are no easy deals. That idealistic, optimistic part of me still wants to believe in easy money, even though obviously we should all know better by now.

No comments: