Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Check is On its Way


I was expecting to get paid this week. It's been awhile between paydays, and this one promised to be a particularly healthy one. As per usual, my landlord was expecting to get paid last week. Naturally, I don't want to call them yet to discuss the latest pesky problems in my apartment. I feel sheepish telling them, yet again, that "the check's (almost) in the mail." Yes, my landlord is damn near a slumlord, but I still don't want them, or anyone else, for that matter, on my back if I'm a few days late on a payment. There's something just wrong about a slumlord feeling they have the upper hand morally on me, even if only for a few days.

Oh the joys of working on commission and doing so at a company where the payroll department is one overworked person who cuts checks on seemingly arbitrary days. The fee check from my most recent deal was in my boss's hands Tuesday. Yet for some reason, my paycheck from that deal won't be in my hands until Monday. Perhaps. If I'm lucky.

Often, I have to flat-out ask the people in charge "am I getting paid today?" In truth, there have been days when I've gone into the office solely to pick up a paycheck, only to find that said check isn't going to be cut that day, despite the fact that it's supposedly payday.

As you might imagine, this creates resentment. I'm sure the bosses have been paid already for my most recent deal. Their cut is probably already secure in their personal accounts. Meanwhile, I have to suffer through the weekend and knowing how many bills are screaming for my attention.

Our payday has changed so often--first it was Fridays, then Mondays--that I no longer am as hesitant to ask my boss for advances or simply to cut my check between official paydays when I really need it. This time, though, I will tough it out. If anything, not having money in hand will keep me from doing stupid things this weekend, like buying loads of junk food or blowing a wad of cash on designer knockoff clothes. Whoever said that "whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger" had the right idea.

<

No comments: