Monday, May 14, 2007

Continuing Scam, I Mean, Education

It's time for me to renew my license. Yes, every two years, in order for an agent to keep her NY real estate license current, she has to do continuing ed. Agents get to waste 22.5 hours most don't have and pay nearly $200 bucks for the privilege. The state gives a one-year grace period. As long as you're done with the class hours within three years, you're cool. Still, how annoying! Wasting hours of your life and a chunk of money in classrooms or with online classes. It's not cheap--a couple of hundred bucks is a royal ripoff, in my professional opinion. And the last thing I need is to be stuck in a room with people I can't stand for hours on end, and getting screwed financially in the process. That's what open houses are for!

Because it's so bothersome, I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and getting my broker's license. The broker's course fulfills the continuing ed requirement, and also would allow me to open my own firm, which I imagine could happen if I ever went completely off my rocker. The only thing that worries me is my boss' reaction to me getting said license. They might think I'm preparing to leave or whatever. They're always eyeing me suspiciously anyways, and have made paranoid comments about me leaving in the past. In all honestly, I really don't want to open my own firm. My superiors are good people, but I don't look at them and say "Yes! It is my goal in life to be just like THEM!" In fact, having my own business sounds suspiciously like hell on earth to me. Anyone who opens their own biz thinking they'll work less--well, the joke's on you, buddy!

But I figured if I'm on the hook for this stupid course anyways, and the brokers' course only costs a bit more, I may as well force myself to go for it. It's a good deal--twice the annoyance for just a bit more money. Hey, that sounds like a New York apartment!





1 comment:

new york real estate ce said...

Don't worry. You can now take your continuing education for your new york RE license online. I think that having such standards like this is very good as it only keeps the best of the best real estate agents licensed.