Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Summer in the City: Pros



Pretty soon I'll be on here complaining about how much I hate summer in the city. How depressing it is blah blah blah. For now, while the weather and my mood are both still mild, I'll go ahead and mention some of the things I like about summer in the city:

* Mister Softee. Get your minds out of the gutter! The ice cream truck, of course. I even like the jingle, which the news said was the second most complained about noise when people call into 311, the city's non-emergency information/complaint line. I love the sound and have been known to chase Mister Softee trucks through my neighborhood in search of that perfect sprinkles dipped cone.

* Flowers in the park. I must say the Parks Department does a beautiful job of maintaining Central Park and changing out the flower beds frequently to reflect the season. Tulips recently had their run, and they were gorgeous.

* SummerStage. Free concerts in the park. 'Nuff said.

* The way the City gets really quiet and you almost feel like you have it to yourself over big holiday weekends.

* Rollerblading around different places.

* This doesn't happen everywhere in Manhattan, but sometimes where I live the neighborhood residents do outdoor barbeques. It's probably illegal, but they're festive and smell delicious.

* The scent of honeysuckles and jasmine wafting in the air when you pass area parks, especially at night.

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, and getting out of the City during the summer is even more special than during other times of the year. I always feel like I've really escaped something!

No comments: